To trade Anglo American shares you can either use a traditional stock brokerage firm (such as IG) or you can use a CFD service, such as AvaTrade We'll explore the pros and cons of both approaches in a moment.
Currently, IG charge a minimum of £5* per trade for buying and selling shares online, while AvaTrade charge 2 above the spreadThe spread is the difference (in pips) between the buy price and the sell price.
Example: If the current buy price of EURUSD is 1.0004 and the sell price is 1.0003, there is a 1 pip spread. for stocks such as AAL
Pros & Cons of Trading Anglo American shares (AAL) as a CFD
A CFD (or 'contract for difference') is a way of trading instruments like shares without having to own the shares. Here are some of the pros and cons of CFD trading compared to using a traditional stock brokerage.
- The main advantage of a CFD broker is the leverage they offer their clients. This means that a trader would require a much smaller account sizes relative to the size of a trade in comparison to a traditional share dealing broker.
For example, AvaTradeoffer leverage of 1:10 on Anglo American shares. This means that at the current price of £1,376.63 per share, to buy 10 Anglo American shares with no leverage, it would cost a total of £13,766. However, using leverage of 1:10 , a trader would only require an account size of £1,377 to place the trade with a CFD broker like AvaTrade
- CFD brokers allow traders to go long or short, which means a trader could benefit from rising and falling markets.
- CFD brokers usually do not charge a commission and instead have their fees included in the spread.
- CFD brokers like AvaTrade that offer the MT4 platform, allow clients to use expert advisors to automate their trading strategies.
- UK shares that are purchased as a CFD are not liable for the usual 0.5% stamp duty payable with a traditional share purchase (please note that tax laws can change and are subject to individual circumstances).
- Unlike traditional brokerages that only offer stock trading, CFD brokers like AvaTrade give access to a wide variety of instruments like stocks, commodities and currencies.
- As mentioned, leverage is a double-edged sword that can magnify both gains and losses. And as with all trading, traders are at the risk of the markets moving against them.
- CFD brokers typically charge an overnight fee for holding a long position overnight. This is essentially the cost of borrowing the money from the broker to purchase the shares on margin. There would be no overnight fee if you closed the position on the same trading day. Therefore, this would only be a disadvantage if you are not a day trader or intraday trader.
For example, AvaTrade currently charge an overnight financing fee of 2.50% for individual equities. This means that for the example trade above, it would cost a trader £0.94 every day the position was open.
For further information on trading stocks as a CFD, visit out "trading stocks as a CFD page". It is important to remember leverage can work both ways and magnify gains and losses.
*All information collected from http://www.avatrade.co.uk/, see website for full terms and conditions. Your capital is at risk. Last updated on 20th March, 2017.
Anglo American: Key Stats & Background Information
Anglo Americanshares are currently priced at
£1,376.63, after opening the day at
#N/A. As of
Anglo American have
1,407 million shares available, bringing their market capMarketing capitalisation is the value of a publicly traded company, calculated by multiplying the current share price by the total number of shares available. to
This market cap makes Anglo American the 30th largest stock on the FTSE 100 index by market capitalisation. In the past 30 days, the Anglo American share price has decreased by -8.04%, from £1,497.00. In the past 90 days, it has ' ; #N/A by 4.57%, from £1,316.50 to the current price of £1,376.63.
In terms of trading activity Anglo American is the 34th most actively traded stock in the FTSE100, with an average of 0 shares being traded per day.
Anglo American had a lossafter tax for the financial year ending 31/03/2016of -£3,804 million, a decerease from a loss of-£927 million for the financial year ending 31/03/2015, an overall -310% change in profit after tax.
Anglo American was listed on the London Stock Exchange on
May 24, 1999, and can be traded on Monday-Friday between 8am and 4.30pm GMT (UK time).
Anglo American paid a dividend of 54.99p in 2016, an increase from 50.99p in 2015.
Top 10 FTSE 100 Companies by Trading Volume
|Standard Chartered PLC||74,064|
|National Grid plc||19,630|
|Direct Line Insurance Group PLC||4,558|
|InterContinental Hotels Group PLC||138|
|Royal Dutch Shell Plc||0|
|HSBC Holdings plc||0|
|British American Tobacco plc||0|
Top 10 FTSE 100 Companies by Market Cap
|Royal Dutch Shell Plc||£201,729,776,580|
|HSBC Holdings plc||£150,828,885,613|
|British American Tobacco plc||£115,859,745,799|
|BHP Billiton plc||£78,829,659,521|
|Rio Tinto plc||£64,042,755,368|
Comparison of Anglo American's EPS & P/E Ratio with other Mining companies
Anglo American has a price/earnings ratio of 7.18. For comparison, Rio Tinto's P/E ratio is 15.02 and Glencore's P/E ratio is 124.93. Anglo American's basic earning per share from continuing operations for the 31/03/2016 financial year was -283.91p, which was a decrease from the previous financial year of 55.30p.
|Company||Basic - EPS||P/E Ratio||Market Cap (Million)|
|Anglo American ( LON:AAL)||-283.91p||7.18||£19,368|
|Rio Tinto ( LON:RIO)||190.31||15.02||£64,043|
|Glencore ( LON:GLEN)||-3.70||124.93||£50,792|
*Information is provided "as is" and solely for informational purposes, not for trading purposes or advice, and may be delayed.
Offers four ways to trade: CFDs on shares, forex, commodities, indices & ETFs
Central Bank of Ireland, ASiC,...
Offers two ways to trade: CFD trading, and social trading
Financial Conduct Authority, C...
Offers four ways to trade: CFDs on Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Options and Indices
Financial Conduct Authority (F...
Offers two ways to trade: Forex, CFD and Spreads Betting
Offers one way to trade: Forex and CFDs
Offers five ways to trade: Forex, Shares, Indices, Commodities, ETF and CFD
Offers one way to trade: Forex and CFD trading
Offers one way to trade: Forex
Offers three ways to trade: Forex, Spread betting, CFD and Binary options
Offers three ways to trade: Spread Betting, CFDs, Share dealing (including ISAs) and smart portfolios (including ISAs)