To trade Ashtead Group shares you can either use a traditional stock brokerage firm (such as IG) or you can use a CFD service, such as LCG We'll explore the pros and cons of both approaches in a moment.
Currently, IG charge a minimum of £5* per trade for buying and selling shares online, while LCG charge 0.08% above the spreadThe spread is the difference (in pips) between the buy price and the sell price.
Example: If the current buy price of EURUSD is 1.0004 and the sell price is 1.0003, there is a 1 pip spread. for stocks such as AHT
Pros & Cons of Trading Ashtead Group shares (AHT) as a CFD
A CFD (or 'contract for difference') is a way of trading instruments like shares without having to own the shares. Here are some of the pros and cons of CFD trading compared to using a traditional stock brokerage.
- The main advantage of a CFD broker is the leverage they offer their clients. This means that a trader would require a much smaller account sizes relative to the size of a trade in comparison to a traditional share dealing broker.
For example, LCGoffer leverage of 1:20 on Ashtead Group shares. This means that at the current price of £1,897.58 per share, to buy 50Ashtead Group shares with no leverage, it would cost a total of £94,879.00 £94,879. However, using leverage of 1:20, a trader would only require an account size of £5,271.06 £4,744 to place the trade with a CFD broker like LCG
- CFD brokers allow traders to go long or short, which means a trader could benefit from rising and falling markets.
- CFD brokers usually do not charge a commission and instead have their fees included in the spread.
- CFD brokers like AvaTrade that offer the MT4 platform, allow clients to use expert advisors to automate their trading strategies.
- UK shares that are purchased as a CFD are not liable for the usual 0.5% stamp duty payable with a traditional share purchase (please note that tax laws can change and are subject to individual circumstances).
- Unlike traditional brokerages that only offer stock trading, CFD brokers like LCG give access to a wide variety of instruments like stocks, commodities and currencies.
- As mentioned, leverage is a double-edged sword that can magnify both gains and losses. And as with all trading, traders are at the risk of the markets moving against them.
- CFD brokers typically charge an overnight fee for holding a long position overnight. This is essentially the cost of borrowing the money from the broker to purchase the shares on margin. There would be no overnight fee if you closed the position on the same trading day. Therefore, this would only be a disadvantage if you are not a day trader or intraday trader.
For example, LCG currently charge an overnight financing fee of 2.73% for individual equities. This means that for the example trade above, it would cost a trader £7.09 every day the position was open.
For further information on trading stocks as a CFD, visit out "trading stocks as a CFD page". It is important to remember leverage can work both ways and magnify gains and losses.
*All information collected from https://www.lcg.com/uk/, see website for full terms and conditions. Your capital is at risk. Last updated on 20th March, 2017.
Ashtead Group: Key Stats & Background Information
Ashtead Groupshares are currently priced at
£1,897.58, after opening the day at
£1,921.00. As of
Ashtead Group have
499 million shares available, bringing their market capMarketing capitalisation is the value of a publicly traded company, calculated by multiplying the current share price by the total number of shares available. to
This market cap makes Ashtead Group the 44th largest stock on the FTSE 100 index by market capitalisation. In the past 30 days, the Ashtead Group share price has decreased by -0.18%, from £1,901.00. In the past 90 days, it has ' ; increased by 7.21%, from £1,770.00 to the current price of £1,897.58.
In terms of trading activity Ashtead Group is the 65th most actively traded stock in the FTSE100, with an average of 2,779,311 shares being traded per day.
Ashtead Group had a profitafter tax for the financial year ending 31/03/2016of £408 million, an increase from £303 million for the financial year ending 31/03/2015, an overall 34% change in profit after tax.
Ashtead Group was listed on the London Stock Exchange on
October 8, 1990, and can be traded on Monday-Friday between 8am and 4.30pm GMT (UK time).
Ashtead Group paid a dividend of 16.25p in 2016, an increase from 12.25p in 2015.
Top 10 FTSE 100 Companies by Trading Volume
|Lloyds Banking Group PLC||183,517,398|
|Vodafone Group plc||73,835,606|
|HSBC Holdings plc||43,555,936|
|BT Group plc||34,244,584|
|Legal & General Group Plc||25,993,346|
Top 10 FTSE 100 Companies by Market Cap
|Royal Dutch Shell Plc||£206,092,052,514|
|HSBC Holdings plc||£149,823,361,496|
|British American Tobacco plc||£112,581,244,577|
|BHP Billiton plc||£80,730,340,364|
|Rio Tinto plc||£65,671,126,990|
Comparison of Ashtead Group's EPS & P/E Ratio with other Support Service companies
Ashtead Group has a price/earnings ratio of 10.66. For comparison, Wolseley's P/E ratio is 16.99 and Experian's P/E ratio is 21.04. Ashtead Group's basic earning per share from continuing operations for the 31/03/2016 financial year was 81.30p, which was an increase from the previous financial year of 76.40p.
|Company||Basic - EPS||P/E Ratio||Market Cap (Million)|
|Ashtead Group ( LON:AHT)||81.30p||10.66||£9,473|
|Wolseley ( LON:WOS)||199.20||16.99||#N/A|
|Experian ( LON:EXPN)||53.07||21.04||£14,714|
*Information is provided "as is" and solely for informational purposes, not for trading purposes or advice, and may be delayed.
Offers two ways to trade: Forex, CFD and Spreads Betting
Financial Conduct Authority
Offers two ways to trade: CFD trading, and social trading
Financial Conduct Authority, C...
Offers four ways to trade: CFDs on shares, forex, commodities, indices & ETFs
Central Bank of Ireland, ASiC,...
Offers four ways to trade: CFDs on Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Options and Indices
Offers one way to trade: Forex and CFDs
Offers five ways to trade: Forex, Shares, Indices, Commodities, ETF and CFD
Offers one way to trade: Forex and CFD trading
Offers one way to trade: Forex
Offers three ways to trade: Forex, Spread betting, CFD and Binary options
Offers three ways to trade: Spread Betting, CFDs, Share dealing (including ISAs) and smart portfolios (including ISAs)