eToro vs HFM Comparison
Comparing forex brokers side by side is no easy task. For our 2022 annual forex broker review, we spent hundreds of hours assessing 39 forex and CFD brokerages to find the best forex broker. Let's compare eToro vs HFM.
Can I trust eToro?
eToro has a trust score of 93, giving it a "Highly Trusted" trust label. Here's what each trust score label means:
- "Highly Trusted" (90-99) - These brokers are considered the most trustworthy firms in the industry. Simply put, we would not hesitate to open and fund an account with a Highly Trusted broker.
- "Trusted" (80-89) - These brokers are reliable and trustworthy. "Trusted" firms are a solid choice, and may simply hold fewer regulatory licences or feature different corporate structures than those brokers that have earned our top Trust Score rating.
- "Average Risk" (70-79) - Average Risk brokers are firms we generally consider to be safe, but that may warrant a closer inspection before you open and fund a live trading account. At the least, we always encourage traders to check the regulatory licenses for Average Risk firms to verify that they are regulated in their own country of residence.
- "High Risk" (60-69) - High-risk firms should be scrutinized and carefully reviewed before opening an account. These forex brokers are – in most cases – operating without credible regulatory licensing, and likely have a history of legal or financial issues. Before considering an account with a high-risk firm, we recommend checking our country guides for your country of residence to see if a more trusted broker is available.
- "Do Not Trust" (<59) - We do not recommend opening an account of any kind with a broker that earns a “Do Not Trust” rating.
Can I trust HFM?
HFM has a trust score of 85, giving it a "Trusted" trust label.
Is eToro a good broker?
Best known for its versatile social copy trading platform suite for web and mobile, eToro also offers a large selection of cryptocurrency products, as well as CFDs, shares, forex pairs, and a wide range of powerful trading tools. Though not a discount broker, eToro offers which includes CFDs, shares, and forex pairs. While not a discount broker, eToro delivers more benefits than its competitors in the same price range.
Is HFM a good broker?
HFM, previously known as HotForex, is a trusted brand that primarily offers the MetaTrader platform suite. HFM also features its own in-house copy trading platform, HFcopy, as well as a proprietary mobile platform called the HF app (though it can't yet be used for actual trading).
What tier-1 jurisdictions is each broker regulated in?
Tier-1 regulators go above and beyond by requiring additional capital requirements, checking in on brokers more frequently, and putting brokers through a tougher screening process. eToro is ASIC Authorised (Australia) and FCA Authorised (U.K.), while HFM is FCA Authorised (U.K.)., neither have IIROC Authorised (Canada), SFC Authorised (Hong Kong), CBI Authorised (Ireland), FSA Authorised (Japan), MAS Authorised (Singapore), FMA Authorised (New Zealand), FINMA Authorised (Switzerland) and CFTC Registered (USA)
What tier-2 jurisdictions is each broker regulated in? What about tier-3?
Tier-2 and tier-3 licenses are still important in evaluating the overall trustworthiness of forex brokers. As far as tier-2 licenses go, eToro is CySEC Authorised (Cyprus), while HFM is CySEC Authorised (Cyprus), FSCA Authorised (South Africa) and DFSA / Central Bank Authorised (UAE)., neither have CBRC Authorised (China), SEBI Authorised (India), ISA Authorised (Israel), CBR Authorised (Russia) and SEC Authorised (Thailand). When comparing tier-3 licenses eToro is none, while HFM is FSC Authorised (Mauritius)., neither have SCB Authorised (Bahamas), IFSC Authorised (Belize), BMA Authorised (Bermuda), FSC Authorised (British Virgin Islands), CIMA Authorised (Cayman Islands) and VFSC Authorised (Vanuatu).
Which broker offers more trading platforms?
For trading platforms eToro supports a Proprietary Platform, whereas HFM supports a Desktop Platform (Windows)., neither have cTrader, DupliTrade and ZuluTrade
Does eToro offer MetaTrader? Does HFM offer MetaTrader?
For MetaTrader eToro provides neither of these, while HFM provides MetaTrader 4 (MT4) and MetaTrader 5 (MT5). If MetaTrader is a must for you, read our guides on the best MT4 brokers or best MT5 brokers.
How do eToro and HFM differ in terms of minimum deposit? What about average spreads and funding options?
eToro requires a minimum deposit of $10-$10,000, while HFM requires a minimum deposit of $5. From our testing we found eToro offers spreads of 1 (August 2021), while HFM offers spreads of 1.2 (August 2021). eToro supports Bank Wire (Deposit/Withdraw), Visa/Mastercard (Credit/Debit), PayPal (Deposit/Withdraw) and Skrill (Deposit/Withdraw) for popular funding options, where HFM supports Bank Wire (Deposit/Withdraw), Visa/Mastercard (Credit/Debit) and Skrill (Deposit/Withdraw).
Which brokers offers more tradeable asset classes, eToro or HFM?
Both eToro and HFM allow you to trade Forex Trading (Spot or CFDs), Social Trading / Copy Trading, Metals, Energies, Agriculturals, ETF and U.S. Stocks (CFD)., neither have Spread Betting Looking at total tradeable symbols, eToro has 3458, compared to 3500 from HFM.
Can I trade cryptocurrency with eToro or HFM?
Crypto trading is popular with forex traders. Most crypto assets are offered either as the underlying physical asset or as a CFD or other derivative — including spot forex contracts. In terms of trading physical cryptocurrency neither eToro nor HFM allow you to trade physical cryptocurrencies.
Who offers more research tools, eToro or HFM?
In terms of research and research tools eToro gives traders the following tools: Daily Market Commentary, Stock Charts, Trading Central (Recognia) and Social Trading / Copy Trading. In comparison HFM has the tools listed here: Autochartist, Daily Market Commentary, Stock Charts, Forex News (Top-Tier Sources) and Social Trading / Copy Trading.