In the original Modern Trader report, we challenged the common assumption that traders live luxurious city lifestyles when we uncovered that the majority of traders earn a modest household income of less than £35k per year. In 2018, the stereotype continues to fall further from reality. In the last 12 months, the average household income of online traders has dropped even lower, and our data suggests that less than 5% of modern traders actually live in a major financial city.
Since 2013, we’ve collected data on over half a million traders to produce one of the most comprehensive studies on traders’ demographics and behavior. You can access the entire report for free here.
Highlights from the report:
- 1 in 7 online traders are female (up from 1 in 10 in 2017)
- Less than 5% of traders live in a major financial city
- 4.3 Million people have started trading in the past year
- The UK has the most online traders in Europe (1 in 100 Brits have traded online)
- Herefordshire has the highest percentage of female traders (21.82%) in the UK
- Millennials represent 58% of all online traders
- The average British trader earns £35,742 per year
- Less than 1% of online traders in the UK earn more than £75,000
- Females deposit $424 less than males on average
- The percentage of women traders who preferred trading cryptocurrencies compared to traditional instruments has increased from 41% to 59% in the past year
You can read the full report (and access the appendix data) by clicking here.
How does this compare to 2017?
Want to read the original Modern Trader Report? You can access the the 2017 report here. In 2017, we also produced a visualisation of the 9.6 Million online traders represented as 100 people, which you can see below.
Want to share this infographic on your website?
If 9.6 Million Online Traders Were 100 People, courtesy of BrokerNotes
Journalists & bloggers: You are welcome to reference & reuse any of the data, statistics, or images from the report. All we ask is that you credit BrokerNotes as the source with a link.